Friday, October 30, 2009

Trains & Alligators!!!!

So I'm over the whole attack of the homeless thing, and everyone has been wonderful and supportive and caring and I really appreciate it.  It really wasn't that big of a deal, just shocking.

So this weekend I'm going on the Sierra Club retreat down in the Okefenokee swamp, which gives me a chance to go camping and get away from the city.  However, as a part of the retreat, I'll be checking out the Folkston Funnel, so I still won't be away from the transit geekery, despite the boys being in Boston at Railvolution and me being in a swamp.  However, I'm betting that there aren't any crazy homeless dudes at bus stops down there.  They'd get eaten by the alligators when they'd lay down.

For those of you unaware (like me about five minutes ago, let's not lie) the Folkston Funnel (yes, that's funnel, I thought it was a typo at first, and was expecting a tunnel) is the the railway super highway between Georgia and Florida.  So on Monday, look for a blog with pictures of my train adventures!

3 comments:

  1. My entire family on my mother's side is from Waycross (the thriving metropolis that sits on the edge of the Okefenokee for those of you unfamiliar with the geography of South Georgia.) I wish that I had reminded you to cover your tattoos before you left. Anyway, my grandfather, great-grandfather, great uncles, great-grand uncles, etc., etc. all worked for the railroad down there. I'd be willing to bet that someone I'm related to helped build it, and I didn't even know that it existed until you told me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, even I have never been to the Folkston Funnel. You are turning into a first-rate transit geek! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's your fault, you and One, spending all that time with you was bound to rub off. However, before meeting you two, I could at identify engine types and rail cars. I think that has to count for something. I am also a master at Thomas the Train characters, and I've been to Tweetsie Railroad :p

    ReplyDelete