Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Resolutions

My new year's resolutions involved traveling to every MARTA stop and doing something to blog about, encouraging folks to do the same thing.  Obviously there are a few I'm at all the stinking time, like Kensington, Arts Center, and Oakland City, but there are some I've never been to and have no idea why'd I'd be there in the first place.  Therefore, I must go there.

So this past weekend I started my MARTA sightseeing journey by heading up to the suburbs to have dinner with the AC.



I have to have proof I did this nonsense.  Of course, taking pictures of oneself and a sign with a cell doesn't warrant the most flattering pictures.  But it does provide crazy dudes yelling at you.  I think he wanted me to take a picture of him.  Not sure, though, as I try to ignore crazy yelling dudes.  Especially post crazy-homeless-dude-at-Five-Points.

So I got my butt on the train and headed from the south side of town up to the burbs, where the clientele changes with the zip codes!  The ride up was entertaining because our train kept saying it was heading to Doraville, which is not where its riders particularly want to go.  I can't wait to figure out what the heck is up there.  But after I assured folks that we were indeed going to North Springs, people calmed down.  I'm not sure who made me the expert, this was my third time riding in that direction. 

So I found myself at the Dunwoody MARTA station, where I promptly got lost.  I am really bad at getting confused when indoors.  When outdoors, I am golden.  I know what direction I want to go in and can get myself there.  Once inside, I'm like a kitten that can't get out of a paper bag.  After walking around the station a couple of times, though, I found.......

The Mall!

Whoo MALL!  I'm not particularly fond of those, but if I had to pick one, it would be Perimeter.  There's a Sephora there, and I live off of make-up.  I don't use it on a regular basis, but man, do I love it.  I think I like the pretty colors.  (Maybe I really shouldn't blog, by the time I've been at it a year, you will all think I'm nuts).  It's also a nice Macy's.  And there's a MAC.  That's all I know, so don't ask me anything else.  But there is also this swanky restaurant, GoldFish, which is where my date with the AC took place.

GoldFish is one of those places over by The Cheesecake Factory, if that tells you anything about it.  It's a good date place on the weekend, for sure.  And the food is quite tasty, I recommend it.  Most importantly, they have really yummy organic pomegranate martinis.  And I was having a particularly rough week, thanks to the Sierra Club and general ExCom business, so I had three.  Then got back on MARTA, which was totally awesome.

There are loads of crazies on the train late night.  My favorite is the blond chick.  She knows me now, sad to say, and will talk to me all the time.  She likes to complain about the bus and then try to bum rides.  Well, this particular night she had her headphones on and was singing.  And by singing, I mean trying out for American Idol.  The dude was sitting across from me, he and I exchanged a few glances, and then proceeded to start singing a long.  Meet my new bff, Robby!

 

We became immediate friends, as people who are tipsy on transit tend to do.  So I helped him with the transition at Lindbergh, since he's not used to the late night train shuffle.  I asked One why they annoy us with such nonsense, apparently it takes two trains off the track, thereby saving MARTA moneys.  Anywho, somewhere along the line, we picked up Keet, bff number 2.  When Robby left us, Keet and I discussed tattoos til my stop.  She lives just below me, in College Park, so we've all made promises to hang out.  Maybe I can take them on some crazy transit adventures, too!

I love MARTA!  It was so much fun, that I'm looking forward to the next trip.  Where should I explore next?


5 comments:

  1. Ashley, you're incredible! Keep blogging - this is a great story. I read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Goose! Thanks!

    Herminehi - Wo bu yao! Go away and do not leave crap like that on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You forgot the part about when I wouldn't let you turn your new stun gun on for show-and-tell in my car after 3 martinis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha - yea, fun times! I love my new stun gun, no homeless dudes will be attacking me again! Not unless they want to meet my new little friend!

    ReplyDelete