Friday, November 13, 2009

Hear ye! Hear ye!

I, the CCT girl, have decided to make some changes to the blog.  I appreciates your support, and have decided that in all of our best interests, the Accidental Commuter should be a full-blown co-author of the blog, as opposed to a guest author.  So look forward to new up-coming craziness, such as field trips! (As soon as she is able to have a life).

In other news, the contest will end tomorrow, so get your comments in!  Two will be drafted to participate in the drawing as to assure you of my impartialness, and we'll photo document it too, mainly cause it'll annoy him.

And finally, I've decided that since I love to ride the bus so I can read, I'm going to sporadically throw in book reviews!  Yay!  So my first book review is of Push.

If you haven't heard of it (you must be living under a rock!), Push is the novel that the movie Precious was taken from.  Based on true events the author experiences as a teacher in Harlem, Push is the kind of book that stays with you at night once the lights are out.  It's the story of Precious Jones, a girl who has the sort of life you wouldn't wish on your enemies.  She is abused by both of her parents and has been overlooked by the system.  Having passed into the 9th grade, she can neither read or right when she is suspended from school for being pregant with her second child by her father at the age of 16.  The story follows along as she escapes from her life into one where she meets the first friends she's ever had and a teacher who takes the time to work with her. 

I won't lie, it is a hard story.  There were times that I was so shaken by the book that I had to put it down, Precious describes in detail things that no one should ever have to go through and she suffers immensely.  But Push is a story of the beauty in human nature, what we can overcome with faith, stregth, and a little bit of help.  So I would recommend the book and I might even let you borrow my copy ;)

3 comments:

  1. i agree with cct girl! we need better transit cuz sitting in traffic sucks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The point of entering the contest, Keenan, is to sign your name, so I know you commented!

    ReplyDelete