Thursday, November 12, 2009

How To Hijack A Transit Blog: A User's Guide

I can't sleep, despite the fact that I have been looking forward to going to sleep since my second cup of coffee this morning. Lately I have had the type of insomnia that should make the people over at Ambien look into sponsoring me. Kind of like how Jenny Craig keeps paying actresses to lose weight. There should be some kind of Courtney Love Celebrity Pro-Am Sleep For the Cure Fun Run and I should be their spokesperson. Anyway, since I can't fall asleep I started thinking about some of the things that I have a responsibility to cover as an invited guest blogger.

I think that part of the reason that cctgirl decided to start a blog about public transportation in Atlanta was to encourage people to actually start using it. Before I started taking Marta to school I had a lot of questions about safety, customs, etiquette, etc. It was intimidating. Here's my top five of what I hope will be a running list of tips and tricks. Please feel free to add your own.

1. The sideways seats next to the door are for the elderly and people with physical disabilities. Please don't sit in them unless you qualify. I have reprimanded complete strangers for this.

2. You need to swipe your Breeze card again at those little double-door thingies to make them open and let you out of the station. Don't push on them, it doesn't work and people will laugh at you (or so I've heard...)

3. Please, please, please let people get off of the train before you try to board. All my life I thought that everyone knew this but I have been proven wrong over the past few months. People who ride public transit in cities all over the country are able to observe this rule. This is the South, we invented good manners. We should be setting the example.

4. Escalators and stairways are kind of like roads. Slower traffic should stay on the right side. The left side is for passing and people in a hurry.

5. You can let people who you don't know sit next to you.

I hope that this helps and maybe even encourages some of you to ditch your car for a day and ride public transportation. It makes you feel good - kind of like recycling minus the big piles of trash in your home.

Night!

5 comments:

  1. I get so annoyed at the people who don't let you off as they're trying to get on - like I don't have places to be, too. And if you let me off, there's room for you on the packed 8am train. And escalators culture? What a novel idea! I can't wait to see your next batch of tips.

    But I'd like to say, as a tip, if someone's reading a book, don't talk to them. They're reading, not looking for a conversation.

    Also, don't tap the station attendants with your Breeze card, that's not how it works. :) This may be one of my favorite transit stories One has, but he should tell it. Maybe if we ask nicely, and he reads this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, cct girl started writing a blog because crazy crap always happens to her. That, and Two encouraged it. But mainly, because of crap like today & Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the first step to hijacking a transit blog is to find yourself a friend crazy enough to have a transit blog :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first rule of Transit Blog: You do not talk about Transit Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Accidental Commuter gives really good tips. Feeling like a fish out of water is one reason more people don't take transit. Keep up the good work! (and hey - politely educating people who DO give it a try is the best way to bring them over to our side)

    ReplyDelete