Friday, November 13, 2009

MARTA and Multiculturalism

Right, like I'm going to address the finer points of cultural and ethnic diversity and their interaction effect with public transportation in a blog post. But while cct girl was on the topic of good MARTA reads (I know, I said that I wouldn't scream, but I'm the only one who doesn't capitalize it and I feel like a slacker) I thought that I would throw out my two cents. I just finished It's the Little Things: Everyday Interactions That Anger, Annoy, and Divide the Races by Lena Williams. I'm not going to say that this was the greatest book that I've ever read. Parts of it were insulting. But it did raise my awareness about some of the things that I do everyday that can send out the wrong message. It also made me take on someone else's perspective for a moment, which in my humble opinion no one can ever do too often. Riding MARTA means sharing your commute with people from all walks of life. This book kind of explains where other people are coming from, what they think of you, and how everyone could stand to drop a little bit of their baggage.

1 comment:

  1. I don't understand why you won't address the finer points of cultural and ethnic diversity and their interaction effect with public transportation in a blog post. I'm a little disappointed!

    ReplyDelete