Friday, November 27, 2009

Psychology & Transit!!!

Now this I know!  I stole this great article from One:

Psychologists Have Been Watching Us on the Subway

I love how a lot of this refers to Milgram, one of the most influential social psychologists of our time.  I do love to sit on the train and study the folks around me, people like the God-Loves-You-Woman who greets every car every morning with the same greeting.  I've stared down girls who've littered to see them pick up thier candy wrappers and put them in thier pockets (but that only works with girls who are alone), but I have also noticed that people on MARTA are very reluctant to give up thier seats, same for the subway in NYC, too, even when I had my air cast on after breaking my leg.  I do believe in the bystander effect, even though the article speaks against it.

So what have you noticed on transit?
blog comments powered by Disqus